5lb/2.25kg loin of pork
(This will serve up to 8 adults)
Visit our Shop to view our Pork Loins.
- Preheat the oven to 240c/475f/gas 9
- While the oven is preheating, score the fat on the meat with a sharp knife, cutting half ways through the depth of the fat. To do this make slits about ½ inch apart and then in the opposite direction so that you end up with a criss cross pattern.
- Now place the pork in a roasting dish and using about 1 tablespoon of coarse sea salt to sprinkle all over the fat, pressing it in as much as possible. This will give a nice crunchy finish to the meat.
- Place the pork on the top shelf of the oven and roast for 25 minutes. Turn down the heat to 190c/375f/gas 5, calculating the total cooking time allowing 35 minutes to the pound. This size joint will take just under 3 hours in total.
- There’s no need to baste pork when cooking as there is enough fat to keep it moist. To tell when it’s cooked, insert a skewer in the thickest part of the meat and the juices that run out should be absolutely clear without any trace of pink.
- Allow the meat to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- If you are using a rolled and tied Pork Loin the cooking time will be increased as it is much thicker but the same 35 minutes/ lb applies.